Saturday, June 4, 2011

It was a test and everyone failed,,,,,,,

Greetings!!

Not long ago there was a discussion on Amish America about what us "outsiders" were willing to give up if we wanted to become Amish and/or live their lifestyle.  Most Amish are not allowed computers, TV, cell phones, house phones, etc.  Some are allowed some of these options for business purposes only.

Several people said they would have a hard time giving up the Internet now but TV would not be a problem.  Most said the convenience of their cell phones would be hard to give up but that they could do it.

I got to thinking I would miss my friends on facebook and they would miss me.  Or would they?  I usually make a status post twice a day, every day.  One in the morning, wishing everyone a good morning and telling them my plans for the day and one at night, ending my day.  Surely someone would miss those posts!!  After all, I never miss and for me to miss someone would notice and think maybe something is wrong.

So, I decided to put it to the test.  For the last week I made no status posts.  Yes, I chatted with a couple of people in private and the games I played were posted that I had played them, but still not one "good morning" or "good night" post from me for an entire week.

It was a test and everyone failed!!  Not one person sent a message or made a post asking me if I was OK!!  I was surprised, almost shocked.  Especially because I usually get reply posts to my status posts.  I can understand someone not noticing for a day or even two but for an entire week?

It makes you wonder if people just don't care or perhaps they are just too busy with their own thing they don't notice?  I am sure I have missed others not being there for a while.  After all, I have almost 170 people on my friend's list.  It is hard to keep track of everyone.  Although, I do believe I try.  Of course some people just don't make regular posts so it would be hard to notice if something is different.

As a result of this test I have come to the conclusion that it would not be that hard after all to give up facebook too.  My true friends have my address, phone number and know how to get in touch with me if I no longer had facebook or even Internet for that matter.

Would I give up Internet completely?  It would have to depend on the circumstances.  I do use it for my business.  But if I can find another way to promote and build my business I would gladly give up the Internet.  Or if I find another way to make a living where I did not need the Internet it would be gone.  TV I would not have at all if it were not for Frank.  I watch a little with him to spend time with him in the evenings, but other than that I would not even turn it on.  I stopped watching TV 11 years ago when I was a truck driver and did not have the time to watch it.  I did not miss it one bit.

The phone and cell phones could be given up easily too were it not for business.  They are annoying most of the time and I have done without both of them before as well.

I would never "become Amish" because I do not agree with some of their beliefs, however, adapting a similar lifestyle is appealing to me.  I want to simplify my life as much as possible.  There are way to many daily stresses in life without adding to them.  I would also love to homestead and become as self-sustainable as possible.  Raising my own food, both animal and vegetable is important to me.  Not having the outside peer pressure of having to always have the best is something I have not really succumbed to, but I would also like to eliminate that pressure from my life completely.

Would I, could I, dress plain like the Amish?  Yup, that would not be a problem at all.  In fact that would help to eliminate the peer pressure to 'always be fashionable" which I am not any way, LOL.  But at least if I am dressing "plain" no one is going to say something stupid like, "that's last year's style and its out". LOL.

I think this "failed test" has given me more to think about.  And encouraged my goals of homesteading and doing a without a lot of these things that just adds more complication to one's life.  What do you think?

Until next time,,,,,,,,Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice