Monday, May 23, 2011

The storms came rolling through,,,,

Greetings!!

We had some very strong winds, thunder, lightening and even tornado watches and warnings last night.  Luckily in my neck of the woods there was no severe damage or loss of life.  My prayers go out to those in Joplin, MO who were hit very hard.  The report this morning was 89 lives lost and still counting.  They were hit by the same storms that rolled through here later.

When last checked we will get more of the same tonight.  I sure hope not!!  Folks that were born and raised here say we have been very lucky and are over due for a big tornado to hit us.  Praying this is not the year or the night that will happen!

Last night was a wild enough ride for me in my old age.  I watched the skies and knew there would be tornado warnings long before the sirens went off alerting us to impending danger.  Luckily the tornadoes missed us.

This is a common occurrence in the spring here in Central Illinois.  So common we become complacent and don't really heed the warnings.  I am just as guilty.  I sat here on my computer while the storms were rolling through, not giving them too much thought but also wondering if this would be the time they would hit.  Not much I could do to stop them I reasoned with myself so why worry?  Making myself a note that I should pay a little more attention and perhaps heed the warnings more than what I have been.

Long gone are the days that I used to go out and chase these storms.  I used to be a volunteer weather spotter for ESDA.  I have had a car plummeted with large hail leaving dents, millions of dents in the car.  I have had a car lifted up off the ground by a couple of feet and dropped back down again.  All the while I am calling my report into ESDA and snapping pictures.  Oh to be that young and foolish again, LOL.

Actually, I had enjoyed volunteering.  But times have changed.  I have grown older.  My health is deteriorating and I just don't have the energy to do it any more.  I am only 52 but with my health I feel like an old lady most of the time.  I guess it is time for me to rest and let the younger generation take it over.

Again, my prayers go out to those in Joplin, MO.

Until next time,,,,,,Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice