Friday, May 20, 2011

I wish I could get my garden tilled,,,,,

Greetings!

Yesterday afternoon we tried to get in the garden to till but it is still too wet.  My friend Tom came over late in the afternoon but we checked the ground out before lugging out my little mantis tiller and it was still to wet.  That would have clogged my tiller up big time.  And that would have been bad.

We are going to try for this afternoon.  The rain is suppose to come rolling back in tonight after midnight and rain for several days.  If we don't get it tilled today it will be well over a week before we can try again.  It is getting so late in the season to get a garden going.  But I have tomato plants on the porch waiting to get in the ground.  I have potato and onion starts waiting also and a bunch of various seeds.

Some people managed to get their gardens in early only to have them flooded out.  Many are like me and still trying to get in to till and plant.  Oh how I pray I can get it tilled today and at least get the tomatoes, potatoes and onions in.  I might wait on seeds as I do not want them rotted in too much rain.

With the cost of living, especially the cost of food going up and up a garden is a necessity to help stretch the food budget.  I also want to try to put back as much food as possible to help us get through the winter when higher utility bills drain money from the food budget.  Its hard living on a fixed income and making ends meet.  The cost of living keeps rising but the income does not.

Unlike most people who want to blame the economy on the current president I will not.  This has been going on for decades and getting worse with each passing year.  Depending on your income level will determine when you first started feeling the pinch in the pocketbook.  Those on fixed incomes felt it from the beginning.  We have learned how to stretch a dollar or just do without.  Now that more people are feeling it they want to say it just started happening.  Not true!!  You just started waking up to what has been going on for a long time!!

No matter who holds the office of president or which party is in control it will continue to get worse.  Everyone must be prepared and do the best they can to survive.  If you don't know how to "put up" food for the rough times I suggest you learn.  I taught myself how to can by using the "Ball Blue Book of Canning".  The step by step instructions are very clear and easy to follow and the recipes in the book will help a great deal.  Buy a little extra non-perishables at the store whenever you can and put them back.  Someday you will need them and be happy you have them.

Until next time,,,,,, Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice