Monday, May 30, 2011

Happy Memorial Day!!

Greetings!!

Already have part of my yard work for the day done.  The battery ran out on my weed eater so I am in for a little break while it is on the charger.  Having a cup of coffee then grabbing the pruners and heading back out again.  It is already hot and humid here so I want to get the bulk of the work done before the worse heat hits.

When I was a child Memorial Day was for EVERYONE who had passed on before us.  We remembered everyone that we loved who passed, many we did not know personally but had an impact on our lives and of course the veterans who were lost.

We went to the cemetery in Eldred, NY where my mom was raised and my grandparents along with many other ancestors were buried.  The cemetery was suppose to have perpetual care but that had stopped many years before I was born.  So we packed a picnic lunch and spent the day cleaning up the cemetery and placed flowers on graves.

My grandparents, great-grandparents and even great-great grandparents on my mother's side are buried in that cemetery.  My mother is buried in the "newer" one across the road.  Many aunts, uncles, great and great great aunts and uncles are also buried in the older cemetery.

We also put flags on the graves of any we knew were soldiers whether they served in war time or not.

This is an old cemetery that dates back to colonial days, pre-revolution.  It can get kind of spooky when you are a kid, LOL.  It sits out in the country on a hillside surrounded by woods.  The further back you walk the further up the hill you go.  The sounds from the woods adds to the mystic of the cemetery, especially when you are a kid, LOL.

We used an old reel mower to cut the grass and an old hand trimmer to clean up the edges.  No such thing as gas, electric or battery operated trimmers back then.  (Yes, I am old, LOL)  It was an all day job.  About half way through we would break for lunch.  There was a picnic area down by the road.  It was quiet and peaceful there.  There was a place down the road a piece to get natural mountain spring water.  We would usually stop there on the way to the cemetery and fill up several gallon jars.  The water was nice and cold and a welcome treat on hot days.

I never knew my grandparents as they had passed long before I was born.  But I had a step-grandfather who was a wonderful man.  When he passed in 1977 his nephew had him cremated and I had the honors of burying his ashes in this cemetery.  I do not know of many who were buried there after that year.  The newer side was already in use.  I imagine there were some that were added to already existing family plots but not many.

I remember as a small child I would walk around talking to them as I worked, as if they were all just sitting there and listening to me, LOL.  Maybe I was a little crazy, but somehow it made the work easier and made me feel closer to them.

Today, Memorial Day is more about celebrating an extra day off and cook outs.  We seems to have lost the true meaning of the holiday.  Then again we seem to have lost a lot in this country.  Our high standards, morals, and even thoughtfulness of others.

My wish for today is that you take time to really remember those folks who have gone on before us.  What impact did they have on your life?  What impact did they have on our country.  Think about how our country was started, where its been in this world and where it is headed.  If you are old enough, think about days gone by where neighbors really knew each other, cared about each other and helped each other in time of need.  Think about the principles this country was founded on.  We sure need to get some of those principles back, but it starts with you and me.  We can not change a government if we are not willing to change ourselves.

May you have a happy and safe holiday!!

Until next time,,,,,,,Blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice