Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Dreaming,,,,,,

Greetings!!

I have always dreamed of having a small homestead.  A place in the country where I can live as self sustainable life as possible.  Raise a good sized garden and put up food to get me through the next year.  I do that now, but want to do it in a much bigger scale.

I want to raise some farm animals for milk and meat.  I think Dexter cows would fit the bill unless I decided to sell off some of the milk.  Dexter's are miniature cows.  They produce about 4 gallons of milk a day instead of the average 8 a full sized cow will produce.  Dexter's are also good for their meat.  So when the cow is past producing milk it can be butchered to supply your beef.  They also need a lot less land and hay for feed.

Chickens would be a must also.  Not just for the eggs but again, butchering for the meat.  And of course a hog or two a year.  Probably one would be more than enough for me.

I'd raise a couple of turkeys a year too.  I love turkey,,,, yummy!!!

I know how to make butter, cheese, yogurt and other dairy products to make good use of that milk I would have.  I have a book on making sausage and have tried a few recipes from store bought pork and don't think I would have any problem making my own sausage.

I have researched "homesteading" for years and believe knowledge wise I could handle most anything on a small farm.  But I wonder physically what I could handle with the fibromyalgia.  Even so, I still want to try.  I am still dreaming of that small place out in the country.  I'd probably have to start out slow.  Maybe just add on a few things I want on my farm each year until I got it to where I would want it.  More than likely I would have to hire some help.  But that could be done too.

I'd have a big enough garden so I could sell off what I did not need for myself for the year.  That would help bring in some money to pay bills.  I would still do my ceramics or some other work part time to help with the bills as well.

I don't know if I will ever get to live out my dream but it sure is fun dreaming. LOL.  Do you have a similar dream?  I would love to hear from you if you do.

Until next time,,,,,,, Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice