Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Illinois Medicaid and fibromyalgia,,,,,

Greetings!!

Recently I was told that Illinois Medicaid in their so call infinite wisdom has decided to stop paying for the prescription Lyrica used to treat fibromyalgia.  In my case I am not on medicaid as they decided to stop allowing any new fibromyalgia patients to get medicaid as it was "too expensive an illness for them to pay for."  However those that were on medicaid prior to this decision were allowed to stay on it.  Now it seems you can be on medicaid with fibromyalgia but we are not going to pay for your medicine!

I personally can not take Lyrica.  It stops my metabolism and I have horrible weight gain.  In just a few months I had more than doubled my weight.  That is the unusual case but it does happen.  But I am concerned for those who can take it and now the state wants to stop paying for it.  Lyrica is not a cheap medication.  If one is on medicaid they already have low finances or they would not be able to get it, along with the fact they are disabled and can not work.

So, in this state's infinite wisdom they are going to take away their only chance of living a life with less pain.  Perhaps one that would help them eventually be able to work again.  How smart is that?  I wish some of these folks in the government would have to live with the pain of fibromyalgia for just one week without any medications.  Perhaps that would change their minds.  But of course that won't happen.  I realize this state has huge financial problems but they want to cut all the wrong programs.  And they want to spend money in all the wrong places.

Today I happen to have a doctor's appointment to try to find some sort of pain medication that will help me to just be able to continue to put one foot in front of the other.  But it has to be a medication I can afford because I have no income and have not been able to work in 11 years.  I have no medicaid or financial assistance.  This is one of the reasons I am trying to make some money making and selling ceramics.  Working for myself is my only hope of making a living.  I can pace myself and when my pain is too high to do anything I can lay down.  Try telling an employer, "sorry, I can't do the work you want me to right now, I am in too much pain".  That won't last long before you are handed your walking papers.  Most won't even higher you in the first place if they know you have fibromyalgia.  Believe me, I know, been there, done that, could write a book about it.

Our state also wants to cut funding for mental health.  That means many people will not get the help they need, will have no chance of getting back on their feet and will more than likely get worse.  And they wonder why people go postal!!  The "haves" have more and the "have nots",,,, well they have even less.  Good going  government, and I do mean every level of government from local, to state, right on up the federal ladder.  Perhaps its time for us "have nots" to start taking a bit of what you have!!

Until next time,,,,,,,,,Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice