Saturday, July 2, 2011

My little garden of Weeden,,,,,,,,,,

Greetings!!

I decided today I would share some pictures of my little "Garden of Weeden", LOL.  Using the straw in a good portion of the garden has cut back a lot of the weeding duties but there is still some that has to be done.  Even though the garden got in really late this year most things are coming along pretty good and I am happy about that.

It was breezy so some of the plants were blowing a bit.  This is my patch of potatoes.  The straw serves two purposes, one to hold moisture in on the hot days and two by continually adding straw the potato plants will send off more shoots of potatoes.  They will actually grow in the straw.  The picture does not show it well but this pile is about 3 feet tall.  I should have a lot of potatoes this year.  Yummy!!


This is the tomato patch.  10 plants in all.  5 Romas and 5 Celebrities.  The Romas already have small tomatoes on them.  In front of the tomatoes I have a run of pickling cucumbers.  I will be doing a lot of canning this year for sure!!


Here is a better look at the cucumbers.  You can't see it in the picture but there is actually a small green fence in front of the cucumbers that will hold them up off the ground when they get bigger.


My corn got in so late, it should be a lot bigger by now.  I am not sure if I will get much out of it, if anything but I have decided to let it go and see what happens.  Hopefully I will get a few ears for my efforts, LOL


These are pole green beans.  I am going to train them to grow up the tomato cages.  Normally I would make a trellis for them but ran out of time this year as it was so late getting everything in with all the rain we had.

My garden season will be late in the year because of the late start we got, but for the most part everything is looking really good and I am happy with it.  :-)  I see I have a little bit of weeding to do early some morning next week but it is not nearly as much as it was before I threw the straw on the garden and I am grateful for that.  Having a garden, tending it and then putting up the produce for winter is all time consuming work, but it is a labor of love for me.  I really do enjoy doing it.  And what a joy, when the season is done, the canning is finished and you see all those pretty jars of food lined up on the shelves and you know with God's help, you did it all!!  It makes my heart sing!!!

Until next time,,,,,,,,,,Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice