Saturday, January 8, 2011

Get ready,,,,,

Greetings!!

I rarely watch the news any more because it can be so depressing, but last night while I was on my computer, Frank had the news on.  I heard one of the most shocking things I have heard in a long time.  Congress is proposing raising income taxes by a whopping 75%!!  Nearly doubling what you pay.

That coupled with gas prices predicted to go up to $5 a gallon soon, coffee predicted to rise to $30 a can and its down right scary for us poor folk.  The working class if not prepared will not survive.  They think they have too many foreclosures now?  Its like they have us in a snare and are preparing to go for the jugular!

I know, I know, most Americans will say, "there's nothing I can do about it."  Well, yes and no.  Complaints to your congressmen probably will fall on deaf ears but its still worth the try.  But you can do things at home to help you get through this.

Grow as much food as you can yourself.  If you live in an apartment you can grow things in containers.  No, it won't be as much as someone who can have a good sized garden but every little bit will help.  Give yourself a little extra in your food budget when you shop.  An extra $5 or $10 a week can go a long ways in buying canned items to put back for emergencies, or boxed items.  Things that won't spoil.  I know a lady that has taken the closet in her guest bedroom and filled it full of food.

Shop the sales!!  You can save a lot of money if you watch the sale flyer's for your local grocery store and make an effort to only buy what is on a good sale.  It takes a little work and planning but well worth it.  When meat is on a good sale, buy extra, freeze it or can it if you know how.  I taught myself to can many years ago.  The Ball Bluebook of Canning is very resourceful for the new canner.  It gives step by step instructions and recipes.  Canning is not hard but it is time consuming.  Again it is well worth it.

During the Great Depression my grandmother raised 13 children by herself and they never went hungry because she was prepared and was one to can everything. 

Although I like the tastes and textures of foods that are frozen rather than canned, I prefer canning for my emergency supplies.  Why?  Because canning needs no refrigeration!  If the power goes out for any length of time I do not need to worry about my food spoiling.

I also stock up on things like flour, sugar, baking mixes, pasta noodles, etc.  They can be stored for a long time if properly stored.  Put them first in black plastic, then put that in an air tight bucket with lid.  Store in a cool, dark place such as a basement or closet that is not heated.  Why the black plastic and bucket?  Flours and grains will often get bugs if left where the light can get to them.  The plastic and bucket also prevents moisture from getting in and ruining them as well.

Date your stock and rotate it, using up the older items and replenishing it with newer.  This will help keep your emergency supply fresh. 

Store up gallon jugs of water as well.  And of course, date it and rotate it out.  You do not have to buy water for this purpose, you can use your tap.  But be sure to keep it fresh.  Stock up on bleach.  Just a few drops of bleach in the water will make it safe for drinking and cooking.

Personal hygiene items, toilet paper and the like are nice to have a back up supply handy. 

Things are only going to get worse folks.  Its time to get ready!!!

Until next time,,,,,, blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice