Saturday, January 22, 2011

Family Reunions and New Beginnings,,,

Greetings!!

Don't you just love family reunions and new beginnings?  I do, especially when family is spread out far and wide and have not seen each other in a number of years.  My own family has not had any type of reunion that I know of since probably the 80s.  That one was on my dad's side of the family and I got to meet cousins I had never met before or at least never remembered meeting them because perhaps I was too young when I had.

Frank's sister Grace and her husband Jim are planning a family reunion for their family this summer.  I am helping a bit.  That is what made me think of writing this blog though.  It reminds me of my family and how long its been.

I think of family reunions as a time of new beginnings.  It gives people a chance to grow closer.  You know in the busy lives we lead today we often drift apart from family and friends.  What a great time to catch up with each other, share some laughs and hopefully walk away feeling refreshed, like we just had a new beginning in life.  :-)  Sometimes families have drifted apart because of some old family feud.  That has happened in my family a lot.  A reunion gives everyone a chance to come together, put the past behind them and just move forward.  Its a good ice breaker you might say.

I know the last family reunion I went to I saw an aunt that I had been quite angry with for many years.  But it just seemed right at the reunion to stop holding a grudge and move on.  It was a great feeling.  We keep in touch now on a regular basis and all is well.  I am so grateful for that new beginning because she is much older now and who knows how much time she has left on this earth.  I know we will not have any regrets after she passes and that is a good thing in my book.  We can't change the past but we can change how we deal with it and what we hope to have in the future.

Family reunions can be a lot of fun and very relaxing.  I have a friend here in town his name is Tom.  His family is spread out all over the country but once a year they get together for a family reunion.  This past year it was in NY state and a couple of years ago he told me they all went to California.  This family really makes a point of seeing each other, no matter where they are.  That is so cool!!  I asked him if they were always close or if they were like most and had their fair share of problems and disagreements.  He said they always have problems but have resolved that when they get together once a year they leave the problems at the city limits and get together and just enjoy that time.  He said usually its like getting a new beginning every year.  During the reunion they let the past go and come together as a family.  What a neat family!!  Don't you wish all families could do that??

I have decided that I would give up going to my 35th high school reunion this year so Frank and I can go to his family reunion.  We really can't afford to do both and I feel family, any one's family is much more important.  Besides, I have not made it to one of my school reunions yet, what's missing one more, LOL.

When is the last time your family has had a reunion?  Maybe its time for a new beginning!!  Maybe this will catch on this year and this will be the year of family reunions, LOL!!!

Until next time,,,,,, blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice