Monday, January 24, 2011

Gearing up for spring,,,,,

Greetings!

I woke up to a thin layer of ice with about an inch of snow on top of that this morning.  Rudely reminding me we are still in the middle of winter!  But I must start gearing up for spring.

The gardener in me is busy ordering seeds and planning the layout of my garden this year.  With such small space to work with designing a layout is imperative to getting the most out of my garden.  You don't want to go in haphazardly planting or you will find you have a lot of wasted space.  I use a combination of planting plans, square foot gardening as well as companion gardening.  They help me to get the most planted in my garden in the least amount of space.  For example pole beans take less space than bush beans and you can plant the pole beans so they will grow up your sweet corn stalks getting double duty out of the same space.

Today while I am out running errands I will pick up some grafting paper.  You know, the paper with the little squares on it.  This year my garden will measure 20 feet by 30 feet.  Not very big but I can get a lot in there if I plan it out first.  Each square on the grafting paper will represent 1 foot.  I will mark out the walk-ways and where each item will be planted.  This will give me a way to plan where the items will go and how much space I will allow for each item.  I usually wind up with a lot of rough drafts before I get to the one I am satisfied with.  Although its work it is also a lot of fun, LOL.  I usually will find room to squeeze one or two more things into.

The other thing I really need to start gearing up for is the spring craft shows.  I need to get back to making inventory with my ceramics and crafts.  It takes time to make ceramics.  There are numerous firings in the kiln and several coats of glaze before you have the final product.  It is not a weekend project so to speak.

I have everything ready to go.  I just need to sit down and start glazing again.  Looks like Wednesday will be my start day for it.  I have appointments and errands both today and tomorrow.  I can't wait to get back to working on ceramics.  Ceramics have been my passion for a lot of years. 

I was just a teenager when I took my first ceramic class.  A lady that I babysat for, for a number of years wanted to treat me.  She was taking classes in the basement of a lady's house and thought I would enjoy it as I have always been creative in one form or another.  I went to the first class and was the youngest person there.  I hated the class but fell in love with ceramics!!  I think the main reason I hated the class was because I was so young compared to everyone else I had nothing in common with them.  While they all sat and talked about raising their kids I was a kid, LOL.  I continued in the classes for just a short while.  Just long enough to learn the basics.  Then I struck out on my own.

There was a new ceramic shop opening in town about the same time I was ready to quit the classes.  In fact I sat on their door step opening day waiting for them to open the shop.  I was their first customer.  I walked in, told them I would not take classes but wanted them to tell me what I needed to know and then I would take the piece home and work on it there.  I asked the owner, "if I tell you what I want it to look like when it is finished can you tell me how to do it?"  She said no problem.  I also bought a lot of ceramics how to magazines with various techniques in them and would read them and try the projects.

I must admit those first pieces I made nearly 40 years ago were pretty bad, LOL.  I sure have come along way!!  I also taught myself how to fire a kiln and bought my first little kiln in 1984.  I still have it today and it is in great shape yet.  Then I taught myself how to pour molds.  Now that was a trip, LOL.  I can remember dumping ceramic slip all over the kitchen floor in my trial and error learning experience.

Since then I have had two teaching studios and have sold countless finished ware pieces not only locally but around the country.  I have advertised in nationwide magazines and sold on the local show circuits as well.  I love what I do!!!

Soon, as i gear up for spring, this blog will be more about my ceramics and crafts.  I hope to post pictures of my works in progress as well as the finished wares.

Until next time,,,,,,, blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice