Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Woooo hooooo, happy, happy is me, LOL

Greetings!

Woo hoooo I am so happy.  I got a lot done yesterday in spite of my back being out of whack.  I managed to work on several pieces of ceramics and I also got my seeds planted finally!!!

On the ceramics, I managed to get a few more pieces glazed to my spring collection I have started.  I almost have a full kiln load now and will try to fire towards the end of the week.  I still want to glaze a few more pieces.  I will load the kiln up as full as possible.

I have several seed trays started now.  But I still have one more to do today.   I am going to start some herbs.  I love going out and cutting herbs fresh from the garden and using them in my cooking.  My excess I will bundle and hang to dry for winter use.  Nothing like knowing where your herbs and produce comes from.  I grow organic with no chemicals on my gardens.  I can tell a difference in taste as well as how I feel when I eat chemical free foods.

I also love the money I save.  I spent a total of $25 on seeds, starter medium, and peat pots.  But I will get hundreds of dollars of food out of my garden.  Yes there is work and time involved in raising a garden, but it is still well worth the effort to raise your own food.  I have been gradually moving my canning supplies over here from Win's house.  What we don't eat fresh this year will be canned.  Frank loved the spaghetti sauce I made from the garden tomatoes last year.  And I hope to do a lot more this year.  I am putting in 20 tomato plants.  10 Rutgers and 10 Tip Tops.  Both are good all around tomatoes but the tip tops are a little bit better for canning than the Rutgers.  We will use the Rutgers mainly for fresh eating on salads and sandwiches.  The extras will can into stewed tomatoes or juice.  The tip tops are a very meaty tomato that will make good sauce.  I might try my hand at making ketchup too.  :-)

Today is another rainy day so I am going to glaze for a while then get the herb seeds started. 

Until next time,,,,,,,,,,,, Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice