Thursday, March 17, 2011

Happy St. Patrick's Day!!

Greetings!!

A very Happy St. Patrick's Day to all my Irish friends out there!!  I would have forgotten except I have cornbeef and cabbage to cook today, LOL.

Yesterday turned out to be a very busy day and I never made it on to the computer but for a few minutes to check emails.  We had to get Frank's truck to the mechanic as the starter went out a week ago.  We were so hoping it would start one more time for us so we would not have to pay for towing but no luck.  It cost $50 to tow it.  I could have put it on the insurance but don't want my rates to go up for something minor so we paid it.

The real shock was the bill for the starter.  $333 and change!!!  Boy has that thrown my budget way out of whack for the rest of the month.  It's gonna be real tight again, but we will make it.  Seems never ending.  I have been trying to get ahead of things for a while now and save up for a trip this summer to Frank's family reunion.  Seems like I get a little padding in the bank account and something else goes wrong.

We also have some extra bills this month and next month as well as both of us have plates coming due on our vehicles at $99 each.  When will it ever end?

Folks, if you don't live on a fixed income like we do, you have no idea what it is like to wonder if you will be able to pay for meds or put groceries on the table.  With prices continuing to rise and income not increasing it is getting harder and harder to make ends meet each month.  I feel sorry for senior citizens depending on social security to see them through.  They have not had a cost of living increase in a few years now.  But they sure have seen their cost of living get higher and higher with each passing month.

I watched the prices in the grocery stores climb steadily now for a few years.  Yesterday I spent $135 at the grocery store for basic items and only one package of meat, the cornbeef I am going to cook today and try to make it last until next week.  I am a frugal shopper and do not buy junk food and typically do not buy something unless it is on sale or mark-down or I have a good coupon for it.  I watch the sales fliers and am very careful what I spend. 

I don't buy a lot of pre-packaged foods, or frozen foods because the cost is usually much higher than if I make it from scratch.  Not too mention all the crap they put in frozen entrees to make them edible.  Ugh!!  Will it ever end?

I don't drink and I especially don't like beer, but I think I will raise a frosty mug of green beer this evening with my Irish friends and hope we all survive this economical nightmare!!

Until next time,,,,,,, Blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice