Saturday, February 26, 2011

High protein, low carb diet,,,,,,

Greetings!

I have known for some time now that a high protein, low carb diet is better for you and will help you to lose weight.  I have been on it before and lost a tremendous amount of weight.  Then I kind of fell out of the routine and put a few pounds back on before landing at a plateau for the last year or so.

I bring this up because I just finished reading an article about this very thing in the February issue of Reader's Digest.  If you need to lose weight I strongly suggest you get this issue and read it.

It would appear that all the folks that called Dr. Atkins a quack for his low carb diet are now eating crow or should be, LOL.  The fact of the matter is simple in my opinion.  God did not give all this high sugar, high processed foods to Adam and Eve.  He never intended for us to over farm our lands so that we would have to dump a ton of chemicals on the land so anything would grow.  He expected us to be good stewards and take care of the land so it would take care of us.

Another good diet to look at is a book called "The Maker's Diet".  I try to look at food in this way.  If it was not around during biblical times, if they could not produce it during biblical times, it should not go in my mouth.

I do not believe we should totally eliminate sugar intake.  But I do believe if we get that sugar from a natural source such as fruit and vegetables then it should be OK.  For example, beets are very high in sugar content, but they are also filled with antioxidants, something our bodies need.  Do I give up beets entirely?  No, but I will give up pickled beets because they have processed sugar added.  Sweet potatoes are extremely good for regulating blood sugar, but they have sugar in them.  Instead of having them with brown sugar, marshmallows and whatever, I will bake them and just add some butter to them and eat them like I would a regular baked potato.

Ah, and here is another argument you hear about, margarine vs butter, which is better for you?  I say butter is better in moderation.  They could make butter during biblical times but not margarine.  Have you ever tried putting a tablespoon of margarine and one of butter in a hot skillet to see which one melts faster and completely?  The butter does.  Margarine has God only knows what in it but it sure does not melt good.  I can't imagine that moving through my arteries.  But butter melts smooth and flows easily if you move the pan around.  That would actually move through my system where margarine most certainly is going to get stuck some place.

Back to the article a minute.  There was one line that really got my attention.  To paraphrase, "we have always been told to lose weight you must eat less and exercise more."  But did you know that when you eat less and exercise more you get hungrier and therefore pig out or binge more?  Dietitians, nutritionists are telling us to do the very thing that will make us gain weight and keep us fat!!

The article starts off with one important question.  "If obesity researchers are so smart, why are we so large?"  Then he goes on to tell us that in the past 40 years the obesity rates have gone from 13% to 33% in the last national survey.  That is a pretty huge jump in my opinion.  Especially if, they are correct in saying eat less fat, less protein, etc.  That percentage should have gone down, not up.  Everyone is or has tried some sort of a diet.  You see new ones coming out all the time.  Now some berry is suppose to make you thin.  Come on, give me a break!

I am probably one of those people who have tired just about every diet out there and I can honestly say, the high protein, low carb diet is the best.  I might take in a bit more sugar from veges and fruits than Adkins would like but I eliminate it from the areas that I think are the worse, processed sugars and flours.

Well, after reading this article and so many others that are saying essentially the same thing, I think it is time for me to knuckle down and get back on the high protein low carb diet and get the rest of this weight off. 

For those of you who do not know, I have fibromyalgia and a few years ago we tried the Lyrica for the pain.  I was one of the unfortunate ones that had weight gain as a side effect.  I more than doubled my weight in 6 months.  No more Lyrica for me!!  It did help the pain but the weight gain was horrible.  Oh, how it went on so easy, but it sure is not easy getting it off!!  I have about 1/3 of it off and I really want to get the rest off.  It certainly will help how I feel to get that off.

I am going to start this soon and I will keep you posted with my progress.

Until next time,,,,,,,, Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice