Thursday, June 6, 2013

Homemade Chicken Pot Pies,,,,,

Greetings!!

I am afraid I over did it making those pot pies yesterday.  I was in so much pain and should have thrown in the towel.  I hate fibromyalgia and neuropathy along with all my spine damage!  I hate having to admit I just can't do things like I used to.  We won't even mention the getting older part!!  I had to stop several times and take breaks and sit down and rest my back and legs but I didn't quit and I managed to get them made.  We ate dinner about 4 hours later than usual though, LOL.  NEVER GIVE UP!!  That is my motto, but I do believe I am going to have to cut back on what I do though.

Anyhow, I changed the recipe slightly to adjust for our likes and dislikes.  I also added some potatoes because I did not have peas the recipe called for but over all, they came out great and I made enough to throw the extras in the freezer for another meal.  Below is the recipe followed by some pictures of the process.  No, there are no pictures of me sitting down taking breaks, LOL.

INGREDIENTS:

1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves, cubed        1 cup sliced carrots
1 cup frozen peas         1/2 cup sliced celery              1/3 cup of butter
1/3 cup chopped onion        1/3 cup all purpose flour             1/2 teas salt
1/4 teas black pepper          1/4 teas celery seed           1 3/4 chicken broth
2/3 cups of milk                       pie crust

DIRECTIONS:

1)      Preheat oven to 425 degrees F
2)      In a saucepan, combine chicken, carrots, peas and celery.  Add chicken broth and boil for 15 mins.  Drain the broth and set aside the chicken and veges, set the broth aside in another bowl.
3)      In the saucepan over medium heat, cook onions in butter until soft and translucent.  Stir in flour, salt, pepper and celery seed.  Slowly stir in chicken broth and milk.  Simmer over medium-low heat until thick and then set aside.
4)     Place chicken and veges into prepared pie pans with crust.  (you can either make a larger pie or individual serving pies)  Pour in the gravy mixture to cover the chicken and vegetables.  Place on top crust, seal and cut slits in the top to allow steam to escape.
5)     Bake in a preheated oven 20-25 minutes for individual servings and 30-35 minutes for a large pie.  Let set for 5-10 minutes before serving.

NOTE:  I doubled my batch and made 8 individual serving pies.  You can change the seasonings to suit your taste and also change the vegetables to your liking or what ever you have on hand.  If you use canned vegetables, do not cook them with the chicken but add them in for the last few minutes of cooking or they will become to mushy.

I made pie dough early in the morning, wrapped it and put it in the fridge to chill.
 
I had carrot and celery sticks already cut in the fridge so I just chopped them to go in my pies.
 
I didn't have any frozen peas on hand so decided to peel and cube 3 medium potatoes
 
That is about 2 lbs of chicken cubed.  I doubled the recipe
 
I boiled the chicken and veges in this broth
 
I lined the pie pans with the bottom crust and filled them with the chicken and veges
 
Sauteed the onions and spices in butter
 
Added the flour and broth to make the gravy
 
Filled the pies with the gravy
 
Put on the top crust.  A batch for the oven and one in the freezer
 
Can we say yummmmmmmyyyy???
I even had enough gravy left over to do up a large pie using up leftovers someday.  It's in the freezer,,,,for now, LOL
 
Until next time,,,,,,,,,,Blessings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice