Friday, September 9, 2011

Gutten Appetit,,, a cook book purchased in Arthur,,,,

Greetings!

A few days ago I made a trip to Illinois Amish Country in Arthur, IL.  You might have seen my post with pictures from my trip.  I purchased this cookbook from an Amish shop called Clear View Fabrics and Books.  I have enjoyed going through the book and will share some recipes from time to time.

While I was in Arthur I picked up a couple of pumpkins for baking to make filling for my pumpkin pies and also some pumpkin bread.  That is why I chose the recipe for today, it is for a pumpkin pie.  For some reason none of the pie recipes include a bottom crust but I am assuming they would make the pie with a bottom crust to help hold its shape.  I am also including a recipe for pie crust found in this cookbook.  Hope you enjoy them!!


Arlene's Easy Rolled Pie Crust by Mrs. Louie Jr. (Olive) Peachy

4 c. unsifted flour            1 egg
1 tsp. baking powder           1 T. vinegar
1/2 tsp. salt            1/2 C. cold water
1 1/2 C. shortening

Sift flour, baking powder and salt together.  Cut in shortening.  Add egg, vinegar and cold water.

Pumpkin Pie by Elam and Nina Nissley Family

1 1/2 C. white sugar            2 C. mashed pumpkin
1 1/2 C. brown sugar            4 egg yolks
4 T. flour            4 C. milk
2 tsp. pumpkin pie spice            4 egg whites
dash of salt

Mix everything together, except egg whites.  Beat egg whites until stiff and fold in last.  Bake at 350* for 45 minutes to 1 hour.   Yields two 9 inch pies

************************

A scripture for the day, found in another book I bought while in Arthur called "God's Wisdom for your life"

Luke 6: 20-23 (NLT)

Then Jesus turned to his disciples and said, "God blesses you who are poor, for the Kingdom of God is yours.  God blesses you who are hungry now, for you will be satisfied.  God blesses you who weep now, for in due time you will laugh.  What blessings await you when people hate you and exclude you and mock you and curse you as evil because you follow the Son of Man.  When that happens, be happy! Yes, leap for joy!  For a great reward awaits you in heaven."

**************
Thank you dear Lord for these timely and most precious words!!  Yesterday, I was attacked for trying to live the life you have chosen for me, for wanting to follow you.  People have shown their hate and anger towards me because of my close relationship with you.  I pray for them O' God that they might find a close relationship with you and walk in your ways.  In Jesus name, Amen!!


Until next time,,,,,,Blessings!!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice