Friday, May 31, 2013

Breaking away from facebook,,,,,,,

Greetings!!

This past week I made the decision to break away from facebook.  I am tired of the privacy issues they have.  Facebook is attaching itself to more and more sites and every time you make a post whether there or somewhere else it goes out over the net.  No matter how high you have your privacy settings, people still get in.  Often unwanted people.

I also like the idea of not spending time on there any more playing mindless games when I can be doing something much more interesting.  Recently I started working on my family genealogy again.  It has become a passion, almost obsession and I have really enjoyed it.  Not only am I learning about my family history but also the history of our country and indeed even the world.

I hated history in school.  But I am finding it is much more interesting when you can tie your ancestors into it.  I am learning as I go along.  To me that is much more positive!!

Like most people my day was beginning to revolve around facebook.  First thing in the morning with coffee in hand I had to log onto facebook, catch up on the local gossip and news.  Play mindless games and say hi to a few people before I did anything else for the day.  And yes, at least once or twice more during the day I had to pop on and check things out.  Facebook was linked to my cell phone, so I wouldn't miss anything.  I feel pathetic the way I was "connected" all the time.

I am actually shutting it down on Sunday.  I wanted to have time to let my friends know what I was doing and how they could reach me if they wanted to keep in touch.

I was thinking a few days ago how much we have all gotten caught up in facebook.  We used to take pen in hand and actually write letters that went out in snail mail.  That gave way to email.  Then along came facebook and we no longer email.  We just hop on facebook!!  It is instant gratification!!  Oh how lazy we have become!!  Lord help us if we ever lose the Internet, the younger generations will not know how to survive and even some of us older folks will have a hard time.

I am keeping my cell phone for emergencies when I am traveling and such but I have changed my number and so it is no longer connected with facebook or other sites.  No, I am not becoming a hermit but I have decided to get my priorities straight.  Facebook is at the bottom of the list of priorities!!

I feel liberated!!  I feel free again!!  I know walking away from facebook is not for everyone but for me, this is the right decision!

Until next time,,,,,,,,Blessings!!

2 comments:

  1. Good for you Alice - keeping priorities on track, and doing what you feel is best for you.....thats what life is all about - making sure that you do the things that make you happy in life, and not doing the things that don't give you the quality of life that you want for yourself. Good move for you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you very much!! I think it is a good thing, at least in this point in my life. I might go back to facebook at some time in the future,,, but then again I might not. I am just taking one day at a time but for now this is the best thing I can do for me. :-)

    Alice

    ReplyDelete

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice