Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Hit and miss,,,,,,,,

Greetings!!

I missed posting again last week.  Sorry folks but I am afraid that is how it will be probably most of the summer.

I have taken on a major task this year and the work is just now beginning!  As many of you know I finally got my 12 yr old work comp case settled.  After a lot of "house hunting" I decided to stay here at Win's and we came to an agreement.  As I am to inherit the house anyway I will be making major improvements and staying here.  The mortgage will get paid off and my name added to the deed. 

I am having a new roof put on, new windows, gutters with covers, the house rewired and the kitchen and bath updated just to name a few things.  The guy comes tomorrow to measure the windows to get an exact fit.  They already measured the roof and are just waiting for me to tell them when to start.  Before I turn them loose on the work I have some prep work to do first.  I want to rip out the old fence and have several trees either cut completely down or trimmed back.  That will get a lot of stuff out of the way for them to work and make the property look much nicer in the end.  I also have to pack up everything hanging on the walls for protection while they are working.

Then I will be tearing up carpet while they are working on the roof.  I have a ton of "extra stuff" in the house that it is time to dispose of.  It is not really used and is just taking up space and cluttering things up.  After they are done with roof, gutters, windows and new doors I will have the electrician come in and rewire the house.  While he is doing that, I will be installing a storage shed, fence and gate.  And hopefully a small above ground pool if finances allow.

Once the outside is completed and the wiring is done I plan on gutting the kitchen and totally re-doing it.  I can't wait!!  I already have it planned out, just need to take exact measurements and buy the new cabinets, counters and ceramic floor tile.  It will be beautiful!!  More importantly it will be practical and designed for a person, (me) who loves to cook and bake.  :-)

Then I will move on to the bathroom.  It will not be completed this year.  First I have to rip up the old flooring and let it dry out.  The hardwood underneath has gotten a lot of moisture on it trapped between it and the tiles on top.  It needs to be aired out and dried before I start the remodel in there, which is fine.  After all the other work, I am sure I will need a break before I start it.  But when I do remodel the bathroom my goal is to make it handicapped accessible.  I am thinking about my old age.  I already have bad back problems which make it difficult for me to step into the shower over the side of the tub so it will be a walk in shower with no tub.

In fact all the work I am doing is designed to make it easier on me when I get old and cannot do a lot of things any more.  Everything I am purchasing for the home repairs will have life time guarantees so they will never have to be done again.  Yes, it costs a bit more but will be well worth it in the long run.  Double hung, double thermal pane windows will not only cut down heating and cooling costs but will be easier to clean with both top and bottom windows tilting in for cleaning.  The roof I picked out is energy star rated and guaranteed for life. The windows are also energy star rated and guaranteed for life.   I am going to shoot foam insulation in the basement walls to also help in energy savings.  Even the basement windows will be replaced.  As my ceramic shop is in the basement I want to make it as comfortable as possible in there. 

I expect to cut my utility bills by at least $50 a month if not more.  That will of course help in my old age too, when income is a lot less it will be easier to keep my utilities paid.

Anyway, my postings will be hit and miss probably for the summer but I will try to get on here and post, "before, during and after" pictures of the work being done.  I think this is the best investment I could make with my money.  It will secure me a good place to live for the rest of my life with no mortgage or home improvement loans to worry about having to pay off.  Living debt free is being very frugal, LOL.

I have often talked about the bible telling us to be "good stewards" of what God provides to us, and everything we have is provided by God.  It took me a while to realize this option would be the best stewardship of the money God is providing to me by this settlement but I am now confident I have made the right decisions.

Until next time,,,,,,,,,Blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice