Monday, February 18, 2013

Running a business alone,,,,,,what was I thinking??

Greetings!!

Running a business alone is never easy and I will often find myself, especially during difficult times, asking, "what was I thinking"?  I really think that is human nature when we get into tough situations or times to ask ourselves questions like that and more.  We become overwhelmed and start to get filled with self doubt.  I am no exception!!

Last week was one of those times.  I had a terrible bout with my fibromyalgia and neuropathy and it had me asking those questions.  I had fallen a few times due to lack of good feeling in my feet from the neuropathy and had a tremendous amount of pain from the fibromyalgia.  I even thought I would have to close the store.  That was probably the most heart breaking thought I have ever had in my life!!

But, after getting over my "I must have been crazy, pity party" and talking to a few people to get my thinking back on the right track, I am ready to forge forward.  I know the risks, the doctor told me several times, I cannot spend so much time on my feet or I will wind up back in a wheelchair.  But I am going to try to make some changes in how I do things so hopefully that either won't happen at all or it will be put off a very long time.  I am just not ready to give up!!

So the first thing I am going to change is the baking.  Instead of trying to make a lot of stuff in 3 days I am going to spread it out more over the week and bake a little each day.  I think that will help me in that I am on my feet constantly when I am baking.  Another thing I am going to change which will get me off my feet a little sooner is the pies.  I am not going to do the fancy cuts any more, that is very time consuming.  I will still decorate the pie tops, but by using cookie cutters to put cute things on the top which will go a lot faster than the fancy cuts.  Don't worry, they will still be the same great tasting pies I make.  :-)

I hope to implement some changes I have been planning for the store in the coming months.  Hopefully, these changes will make things a little easier as well.

This week I am running a big sale, 25% off most items.  I want to bring in new inventory and replace many of the items that sell well.  So this will not only give me room but the money to do it.

When you run a business by yourself you wear many different hats.  In my case, store clerk, cashier, stocker, baker, book keeper, cleaner and so much more.  That causes many long hard days.  So in the near future I hope to be able to get some help, which of course will help relieve the physical and mental strain on me.  I think the store will be ever changing and evolving until I find that winning combination that works for me.

I love the store and the people that come in and I can't imagine doing anything else.  I appreciate your business, your support and especially your patience as I continue to make changes to grow.  Thank you for shopping in Clinton and thank you for shopping at Candle Hill Farms General Store!!!

Until next time,,,,,,,,,blessings!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi, I love hearing from you, please leave a message!! In order to prevent tons of spam from creeping into our space I have all messages on moderation but don't worry, as soon as I review your message it will be posted. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog!!
Blessings, Alice